Locked in an open ground of our massive of Retz, this peaceful village is proud of a diverse architectural heritage. Three historic buildings : the Castle, the Mausoleum of General Count Carpenter and the Calvary, side by side with a small rural heritage like the four wells or the wash house, seeking to restore and maintain and complemented by a beautiful traditional habitat of sometimes dated stones.
Next to a secular lordship known since the twelfth century, two abbeys exercised their authority: the Premonstratensians of Valsery and Lieu-Restauré and the Carthusians of Bourgfontaine. The silvicultural village developed around its Castle and its church. There were two farms : the farm of the Castle and the farm of Baisemont, which was given in 1157 to the Premonstratensian of Lieu and was annexed in 1394 to the monastery of Bourgfontaine.
The Church is the first building made of stone and is dedicated to St. Martin. It dominates the square and the Castle. Surrounded by the old cemetery, few graves of the eighteenth are still visible, it is a Romanesque Church. The framed nave and the rib-vaulted chancel illustrate the transition between Romanesque and Gothic Art, like many buildings in our region, the cradle of the Gothic. During the Renaissance, a collateral and a stately chapel dedicated to the Virgin, a copy of the choir, were built south of the church. Some traces of wall paintings from the fourteenth century are still visible for a discerning eye.
Today, the Church has regained all its stained glass windows and offers a rich sample of the art of stained glass from the sixteenth century to the contemporary period. In the nave, a stained glass window showing a “poilu” protected by Joan of Arc, in memory of the First World War and the loss of many children of the town.
A beautiful furniture, carefully restored, delicately adorns the walls. Christs and polychrome statues, paintings and altarpieces, baptismal backgrounds, a Renaissance bench and a high altar from the eighteenth century, are very interesting for the visitors and add charm and soul to this rural Church. At the North of the Church, inside the old cemetery, a mausoleum, listed as a historic monument, was built for the General count Henri Charpentier. He bought the Lordship of Oigny in 1802 and was the benefactor of the village as the epitaphs tell on the north and south sides of the mausoleum. His name is inscribed on the Arc de Triomphe, in Paris.
Witness of the entrepreneurial spirit of men from the nineteenth century, his son Charles Esprit settled one of the first trains in France in order to improve the transport of local products, grain, wood and stone, to the Ourcq canal at a place called " le Port aux Perches ". Technically innovative, the project, however, ruined its designer. Taken over by the Northern Railway, which completed the service with the transport of passengers, the line lasted until 1966.
The Lordship of Oigny is old and known since 1169. The Castle rebuilt in the fifteenth century, is a beautiful private residence, which derives its originality of his material made of bricks, that are sometimes glazed and stones, and it characterized the evolution from a fortified manor to a country manor. An imposing “ Châtel” at the entrance, the remains of a drawbridge and a moat are the witnesses of a medieval architecture. It is listed as a historical monument since 1928. Its beautifully hilly park of flowers and trees is a model of an English garden and is open to visitors for the Heritage Days.
Inhabitants : Land area :
Altitude : Township :
170 1.188 ha including845national forest 165 m Villers-cotterêts
Community of Municipalities : Villers-Cotterêts / Forêt de Retz
Tel : Fax : Council offices :
6, rue Principale 02600 OIGNY-EN-VALOIS +33.(0)3 23 96 84 81