Away from the major roads, the town is split into five hamlets: Louâtre, Violaine, Catifet, la Falaise and le Gros Chêne. Their inhabitants have always lived together in this ancient federation without any problem.
Under the Ancien Régime, the parish consisted of the same origin, the same villages. Louâtre and Violaine are the most important and the oldest places of settlement. 120 houses are home to 220 residents, over 30 of these properties are second homes.
The surface of our land is 11.60 km2. The agricultural land occupies just over half of this set, the rest being divided into a pin forest and poplar graves and woods..
Like most villages of the Community of Municipalities, Louâtre is an agricultural village devoted to mixed farming (wheat, beet, potato, oilseed protein) and cultivation of fruit trees (apple) that support eight families.
It’s difficult to summarize the community of Louâtre in a few lines. It is so diverse and contrasting, physically and historically. Between the sheld of Soissons and high reliefs (one of its hamlets is called Falaise), dug by several rivers (the Savière, the Nadon, ...) and the railroad, farms were born : dependencies shared between three abbeys (Longpont, St. Faron of Meaux, St-Jean-des-Vignes in Soissons) and various estates in the region.
The heritage of the village can go back to uncertain times (la Pierre Flippe or la Motte Féodale du Nadon), or as the very name of the town, where some see a dark story of werewolf (lupus ater !)
But it was with the Renaissance, a period of relative peace, that the heart of the village took its present appearance. In the middle of its traditional cemetery, the church of St. Remy offers a choir, dated 1551, which is a marvel of architectural daring and luminosity (with a glass window of 6.30 m height). It overcame the serious destruction of 1918, thanks to its classification as a protected historical monument (1921) and a careful maintenance by the town.